Morningstar, Inc. May 2011–Present
- Director, UX Design and Design Operations, Professional Software August 2016–Present
- Design Manager, Product Capabilities December 2013–August 2016
- Design Manager, Mobile Solutions September 2012–December 2013
- Senior Interaction Designer/Team Lead May 2011–September 2012
Lead a team of designers embedded within multiple cross-discipline Agile teams focused on building software platforms and individual capabilities for use across all of Morningstar’s software products. Worked across the design organization to develop and refine a set of design standards and patterns to more quickly deliver design solutions. Lead the creation of a set of design competencies used to define Morningstar’s design career paths as well as help designers understand their own strengths and areas for growth.
Tanagram Partners October 2010–April 2011
- Senior User Experience Architect October 2010–April 2011
Created a concept for a next-generation, augmented reality heads-up display for firefighters as part of a research grant through the Department of Homeland Security. Work for this project included contextual inquiry with firefighters, creation of a data taxonomy, design of data visualizations, design of the interaction model and methods for one-handed control, and oversight of the production of a first-person video demonstrating the user interface.
Tribune Interactive/Tribune Technology, Chicago, IL June 2008–October 2010
- User Experience Architect August 2010–October 2010
- Information Architect II June 2009–August 2010
- Technical Producer October 2008–June 2009
- Consultant June 2008–October 2008
Provided wireframes, process flows, and other standard UX deliverables for various projects including a custom enterprise CMS, a new e-commerce site, and various broadcast television, newspaper, and content vertical sites. Also worked on a number of prototypes and proof-of-concept projects including work on a new weather dashboard and a new online classified entry system. Acted as mentor to other members of the User Experience team.
Chicago International Poster Biennial Association 2008–2011
- Volunteer Web Developer 2008–2011
Worked closely with the Association’s president to scope, develop, and manage the website highlighting the 2010 compe- tition, including the competition’s online entry process, and a simple online store for the Association
Tanagram Partners August 2003–June 2008
- Senior Information Architect November 2006–June 2008
- Information Architect December 2003–November 2006
- Consultant August 2003–December 2003
Coordinated team of Information Architects working on a variety of projects including e-commerce websites, desktop and web applications, usability testing, advanced interface research, and novel cockpit interfaces. Worked closely with project management, design, and development teams to keep projects on schedule and budget. Partnered with Interactive Director to architect user experiences of multiple applications and websites with a focus on creative, user-centered solutions.
Illinois State University August 2002–May 2003
- Graduate Assistant August 2002–May 2003
Responsible for instruction of English 101 Language & Composition, including the design of individual and unique writing assignments.
Fight Crime: Invest in Kids August 2000–July 2002
- eCoordinator August 2000–July 2002
Redesigned and maintained web presence. Provided technical support for national and state offices. Sought out technology solutions for office.
Illinois Wesleyan University B.A. in English/Creative Writing, 2000
Additional graduate coursework at Illinois State University towards M.S. in English Literature